Wednesday 28 November 2012

College project! The Four Humors...Part I

Hello world :)
Blues and yellows, acrylics on canvas, 50x100cm



For the last few weeks I've been working on college project, which deals with The Four Humors (or four temperaments) : Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic and Phlegmatic.
First part of the project was to create a painting that would reflect my chosen humour and my personality, plus our work had to be inspired by Abstract Expressionist artists, both old and contemporary ones. I had to explore styles, techniques, ideas, which they used and create my own painting.
My humour of chose is Phlegmatic. I guess that would also in a way describe my personality, but usually people are not that simple, they are a mixture of everything.
My painting, the technique which I used, was inspired by works of Helen Frankenthaler and her famous pouring technique.
When I stared the painting I had no idea how it's going to look like, as I 'poured' or rather 'splashed' colours intuitively. The only thing which I had control of, is  the direction of the flow. I would lift a corner of the canvas and let the water-thinned acrylics flow freely off the canvas.
The outcome was quite unexpected, both on the painting and the floor :)) Really, don't forget to cover the floor and other precious things, when you mess around with paints! :)
P.s. I only used blue, yellow and white for this piece, no greens at all :)

So this was the 'painting' part of the project. Second part was to create a three dimensional textile piece (contemporary textile), which corresponds with my painting. That theme I will cover in one or few of my next posts (need to collect a bunch of photos for that).

If you have any questions, please ask :)

p.p.s once I get my hands on good college cameras I'll update this post with nice close-ups of the painting :)

~Shy


No comments:

Post a Comment